Though in some respects, this represents the opposite of the Hieroglyph approach, I want to mention Farm Hack and the associated young farmers movements as something exciting which is happening now. I am going to <a href="http://www.youngfarmers.org/practical/farm-hack/intervale/">Farm Hack Intervale/Essex</a> next weekend. I went to a related Greenhorns young farmer event last year and it was full of energetic, intelligent, inventive people. One guy I talked to there, Steve Blood, who has a company for making <a href="http://www.pedal-power.com/">human powered devices</a> also has significant venture capital for his <a href="http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/18/kohort-3-million-seed/">social media software project</a>.
Finding the veins of inventive energy is as important as thinking big.
UPDATE: My link formatting didn't work right. Here's another try:
* Farm Hack: http://www.youngfarmers.org/practical/farm-hack/
* Farm Hack Intervale/Essex: http://www.youngfarmers.org/practical/farm-hack/intervale/
* Pedal Power Engineering: http://www.pedal-power.com/
* Article about Kohort's VC: http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/18/kohort-3-million-seed/
* Kohort.com: http://www.kohort.com/